Thursday 15 December 2011

EVALUATION QUESTION 5

How did you attract/address your audience?

COVER AND DPS MODEL
One of the ways in which I attracted my target audience was with the cover model. I chose to use myself as this was more convenient for me and ensured I could get the look I wanted without having to involve anyone else. I feel that I don't have an oppressive appearance, and definitely one which would make the readers of my magazine jealous, or make them want to look like me. I wanted to use someone who was relatable, to bend the rules a little and use someone who is normal, and not plastic. I feel that this attracts the kind of audience I was aiming for, as they see a girl who they'd want to read about and hear her story, rather than seeing a robot on the front cover who would make them self conscious about their appearance.
THE USE OF FAMILIAR ARTISTS
As well as including an up+coming newer artist on the cover of THE DROP, I also wanted to incorporate artists who would be recognised by the readers. I included Tinie Tempah and Adele, both of which have been a huge influence in the music industry over the year and have had many hits with the public. These are my own photos which I took at concerts where I saw these artists. The use of famous and current artists will give the reader a sense of familiarity, instead of them seeing a new magazine which only caters for the unknown and unsigned.


COMPETITION
On the contents page of my magazine I have made use of a small area by including a competition. Not only will the audience be entertained by the content and appearance of my magazine, but they will also be given a change to benefit themselves and win a competition. I have linked this competition to a spot in the text at the bottom of the page, to further plant the idea of winning into the reader's mind to ensure they enter the competition:


I then also included a mention of the competition's prize in my DPS. This was possible because the prize that comes with the competition is to see 'Lexy Laws' live and meet her in person, and because this artist was modelled by my friend Alex, it was possible to get an image of myself and her. I included this in the article about 'Ellen' as if they had been spotted partying in London together.

REVIEWS COLUMN
Speaking as a teenager, I know that when I have money, I want to spend it on things that I need, or that are worth while, and therefore I tend not to buy as many music albums as I used to. On the occasion that I want to buy some new music, I would much prefer to read some reviews about the album, and see what other people either my age or older think about it before I spend my money. I usually rely on NME magazine's 'Reviews' section to set me on the right path, and that's why I thought it would be necessary to include a 'Reviews' section in my magazine. When someone picks up my magazine and flicks to the contents page to see what will be included, they will find that there are a number of reviews which will inform them of which albums are rated highly by professional critics and whether or not to spend their money on them.

SPECIFIC GENRE
As previously mentioned, the audience that I was trying to attract was teenagers who are into Indie/Alternative music rather than generic pop music. In order to do this, I had to model my whole magazine on this genre, as this audience wouldn't be attracted to a bright pink magazine with a pretty pop girl posing on the front as they aren't as interested in that genre of music. I took inspiration from  NME magazine primarily; the newer covers which have been redesigned. To introduce these newly designed covers, NME issued a selection of 10 special edition covers which were the inspiration I needed. Their simple layout and sparse coverage caught my attention, and I really liked the way only one main colour was used, unlike Kerrang magazine which I find oppressive.

 
I haven't replicated these covers exactly, but I have only used one main colour on the cover of my magazine, although I have used a selection of different shades of this colour. Like NME, this opens up an opportunity to change the colour of each edition by either matching or contrasting this colour to the costume of the cover model. This simplicity of my cover won't over-face the reader, and will allow them to take it all in without finding the cover too full. This was one of my earlier set backs as one of the main points I received in the feedback from my class mates was that the cover was way too crammed, therefore by taking inspiration from NME, I have overcome that problem and impressed my audience.

No comments:

Post a Comment