Thursday 15 December 2011

EVALUATION QUESTION 2

How does your media product represent particular social groups?
NME is the magazine which I took most of my inspiration from, as it had the look I was going for, is a music magazine and is also of the same genre which I was aiming to achieve. Above I have chose three covers of NME magazine featuring female solo artists quite like Ellen who is featured in my magazine. The cover featuring the artist Rihanna is similar to my cover image as regards to the model's pose; and on the hip and edging forward slightly. Although this pose may be similar, the image on the NME cover is slightly harsher than mine, and the body looks contorted rather than in that pose naturally. My cover is portraying a happy, smiling girl who is leaning forward naturally as if she was laughing. I feel that this represents a young female social group, one who may not be huge fans of the pop music industry, but who still want someone who they can look up to within their genre. I feel that the cover is quiet arrogant and stand-off-ish, whereas my cover image is welcoming and gives groups of young girls someone to notice, and want to read about, and not just because they are a celebrity like Rihanna. The facial expressions are quite solemn on all of the NME cover, and very reserved, compared to the model on the cover of my magazine, who could be referred to as a stereotypical ''super smiler''.

The costumes which the artists wear on the cover of NME are always very unusual, and are tailored to the artist's taste and reputation. They are wacky and totally unlike what any normal person would wear, which can attract readers but also put them off. My cover model is dressed in a plain grey jumper, and has no crazy props or anything else to distract the reader. This may not be the most attractive image however it portrays a normal girl, who just happens to have a talent and has finally made it into the music industry. This girl isn't trying to be something outlandish, and isn't parading around with a vulture on her shoulder, and is therefore winning the readers simply by her normality. I wanted to attract an audience of young people who shouldn't be bothered about living up to the expectations of mainstream media, and should wear what they like and not have to play up to get noticed.

No comments:

Post a Comment